Thursday, March 18, 2010

Get some PERSPECTIVE

Neighborhood: Tiravola Part 1
City: Asmara Country: Eritrea
Region: East Continent: Africa

Do I blog. No. As a writer its never been my thing. So why now? Pictures and traveling are my thing. I decided to start a blog to document my Eritrea. Also to help guide others interested in visiting and learning more about Eritrea, a country off the Red Sea coast of East Africa. I decided to include a photograph of what I now dub my reading/writing corner here in Asmara, the capital of Eritrea. This is Expo Hotel. One of the first hotels to start operating i n an independent Eritrea (1991) in the mid-nineties. Designed and owned by an Eritrean businessman
known as "da Sedusto". It's now located on Bada Street, which was renamed as it previously was called Addis Abeba Ave. under Ethiopian colonization. (Addis Abeba is the capital of Ethiopia).

Expo Hotel is located in Tiravolo a neighborhood that is heavily influenced by Italian colonization. (Really all of Asmara is, as Asmara's art deco is that of a colonial city full of old Italian archetectual designs.
Eritreans however, built all buildings).

Occupation by Italians occurred during the Scramble for Africa by European powers. In 1885, Italy ousted the previous occupiers, Egypt. (They mostly occupied the coastal areas of Eritrea). There was a strong resistance by Eritreans and an uprising occurred lead by Bahta Hagos. Despite the resistance Eritreans were forced to abide by Italian policies in their own land. Italy's objective at the time was to create an "African v. of Italy" in where Italian farmers, families and society in general would migrate to Eritrea to live. This is during the World War eras and as a result of the infighting that was happening between Europe. Other Italian colonies included Libya and Somalia. In Triavolo you will find streets upon streets of Italian deco villa homes. Pretty buildings aside, this is also a reminder of Mussolini and Co. bringing facism into Eritrea's backyard and Italy's ambition for Eritrea.


Triavolo is home to the following embassies, Canada, China, Qatar and the Red Cross.
If you are looking for a route to run or walk try walking up Warsai Ave. towards Allascalla Hotel. Turn right and walk up Fah Street. Here you will find a church called Enda Jesus (pronounced in Tigrigna enda ye-sus).


Keep straight and you will find villas, palm trees and Asmara suburbs all around you.

Eritrea is known for its numerous cafes and delicious coffee. There is always a cappuccino, macchiato, or espresso waiting right around the corner.

Drink up.


Restaurants in Tiravolo: Expo Hotel Rest., Hanish, Golden Fork and Family Ayele

Photo: The side of the Polytech building on Warsai Avenue.

9 comments:

  1. If you are still IN Asmara, I would greatly appreciate a picture of #32 Ghebremariam Street (if it's still called that!). My first wife and I lived there for 6 months (Nov '69-Apr '70) while I was stationed at Kagnew Station with the US Army Security Agency. It was out the back gate of Kagnew one block, turn left for 2 blocks, right for one block and left again. As I recall, I took a left and our house was the second on the left. I greatly loved Asmara and wish I could return for a visit. Beautiful 'new' architecture by the way-keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job Saba! This is the clearest advert I've seen for potential vacationers. Awesome pixs as well. You must be a can journalist or photographer or something... Keep the posts coming. Who knows, maybe the ministry of tourism will use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I am enjoying the virtual tour. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep 'em coming! I miss the sights and sounds of Eritrea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post Saba! Please keep writing during your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all are enjoying the sites! I will be posting again very soon. @CustomsMP I can indeed take those photos and post them in my post on Kagnew Station.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd certainly appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing them!

    Mike Austing
    Dennison, Ohio
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm traveling to Eritrea for a few weeks and am interested in talking about sightseeing and blogging. Email me at pegz25@gmail.com if interested; keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job Saba, these are some excellent pix.

    ~Abraham H.

    ReplyDelete